Sunday, April 8, 2012

Part 3 -The Cloth

EASTER

A night ago, two nights in fact
I fell asleep in the shadow of the cross
Dazed and confused
I woke in the wee hours of this morning
As soft young hands were folding me
Laying me gently down on a hewn shelf
The air was misty, surreal.

It was a tomb.
Confounded I went with the One to the tomb?
Three sunrises ago?
Serving once again,
Without knowing -Touching, smelling, seeing- the One
I was there at the end, in death -a shroud.
The end.

Ordinarily I would say so
Yet, I woke up to no ordinary end.
I woke up.
Dead - now alive –What kind of a miracle is this?
Particles in the air twinkled
A light peeked in the tomb from outside
And the One rose as if from sleep,
 In each movement, in the rising
The One grew warmer and brighter. 
The tomb was filled with a warm presence,
Penetrating every fold and fibre
Inundated with such power, energy, life
As the light grew so bright,
It was more than I could take, I turned away
 and the One – vanished in the light.
Again alone with no sense of being alone.
Alone in the tomb
Pulsating Hope
Breathing a fullness of life
Drunk in the awe of a miracle
I stayed in the tomb.

That’s where they found me
The women
Bearing spices and whispering to themselves
The young man spoke –I had forgotten his presence
Him too basking in miracle
He told the women not to be alarmed;
Go tell Peter -
And with that the air within the tomb changed,
The warmth left
The light receded,
Beckoning us to follow
-there was nothing left in the tomb.
The One, no longer there to be encountered,
I was scooped up and with the women scurried away
Taken, to show the disciples.

We fled.
The women in terror
I in amazement
Not that you notice in your Bible
Lost in translation,
 Mark ends the story, “They were afraid for ...”
Dot. Dot. Dot.

I was there in the dot, dot, dot
In a room in Galilee
With the followers
Those who had encountered the One
Mourning, sharing memories, being a community.
Life regulated to ordinary tasks
drying dishes, washing babies, binding wounds, cleaning chaos, wrapping bread, carrying bundles;
yes, ordinary tasks repeated a hundred times in a lifetime...
but there is nothing ordinary about the every day.
We had learned this on the way to the cross
Ordinary is bound with miracle
With the possibility of encountering the One.

The stories, the dot, dot, dots ...
Trickled in.
I was there in the ordinary moments of life
Later on Easter morning, the handkerchief in the gardener’s pocket
The blanket on the beach when the One shared fish over a fire
The folds of cloth stretched out with the words “Peace be with You”
The cloak sharing whispers on the road to Emmaus
Years later, lining the saddle of the donkey going to Damascus
The bed sheets as the scales fell from Paul’s eyes
I was there a million times, for a million miracles
A million encounters with the One
In the ordinary.

The bonnet taken off as a child was baptized
In the apron of a mother’s lap when the story was told
On the table in the breaking of the bread
Coverings sheltering the homeless
Clothing on the naked
Towels drying washed feet
Wherever the words were remembered
“I give you a new commandment, love one another”
It is here in the simplicity of three words,
Love one another
Where the miracle is birthed, incarnate, wrapped in swaddling cloth
Given as gift
It’s an encounter of the One; it is the One
Resurrected!

I am but a simple cloth that was there
That wishes to be there, here
-with God, in God, through God-
Serving as a cloth
Giving my all, my everything
To bring resurrection in each movement,
 in the rising
The One growing warmer and brighter. 
The tomb that is this world filled with a warm presence,
Penetrating every fold and fibre
Inundated with such power, energy, life
As the light grows so bright,
The world
Pulsates Hope
Breathes a fullness of life
Is drunk in the awe of a miracle

I am there in the ordinary tasks of life
Serving you in the every day –serving others through you
The One is encountered
Touched, seen, smelled, heard
Resurrected!
I am but a simple cloth holding a miracle
 in the ordinary just around the corner
expect me, expect the One
Love. Resurrected!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...