Friday, November 23, 2012

I Have Done My Time -a poem



``I HAVE DONE MY TIME``
If this were true I would not be alive.
I would cease being a mother when my children
                reached a magic age.
I would never have to learn anything once leaving
                        high school.
I would not have to pray because I have already
               done it.
I wouldn`t have to clean the house, do laundry, go 
               grocery shopping, or shower
...been there and done that.
Whatever  makes us think that,
 “I have done my time”?

It is that time of year again,
 when churches are seeking council members and ministry facilitators for the coming year.
I would like just one year not to hear:
...I  have done my time...
I  taught Sunday school when my kids where little,
I’ve done my time...
I have sat on church council, more than once,
I’ve done my time...
I’ve changed light bulbs and fixed this and that,
I’ve done my time...
I’ve made sandwiches and worked in the kitchen,
I’ve done my time...
...so does that mean you have no more opinions?
Does it mean you have nothing to teach anyone?
Does it mean that you have no more faith to share?
Does it mean no more responsibility to the community?
Does it mean there is no more love?

Are you telling me, that because
“you have done your time”,
you are no longer required to be about God’s ministry in the world?
You are alive.
You are a child of God.
You have been given gifts to share.
As long as you are present in this world,
you are responsible to be a part of the community.
The church is not just a building,
not just an institution,
the church is not everyone around you;
you are the church when working in community with like minded people to share the Good News;
to be the Good News
to be hope in a hurting world.
Light in the darkness.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...