Wednesday, November 21, 2012

A Continuing Moment of Mystery

For the past month and a half, my running route has included running past a the most delightful Japanese maple tree.  It is one of the highlights of this route all year around.  At the time of Canadian Thanksgiving, the tree was its best in maroon coloured leaves, alive, fluttering and breathing.  It looked like it enjoyed the breeze and every breath.
As autumn became full the tree turned slowly, day by day, to a vibrant red.  Each leaf would change from its veins (from the core) to the individuals tips.  Every time one passed the tree, it was different. Glorious.  It shone with grace.
As autumn progressed the leaves lost their brilliance, dripping from the tips and then curling up, turning to dry blood, and then falling off...to scatter the ground in a circle of "it is finished".
Tonight I reflected on how the tree  transformed in glory.  I ran past this evening in the dark.   Only a few spots here and there shone in the light of the streetlight.  One could run past without even knowing.
...except that I did know...I could feel the tree.  Over the autumn season the awareness of each other became relationship.  The tree was always reaching out. I just had to open my eyes and become engaged.
This is grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...