Tuesday, December 21, 2021

Pieces of Coloured Glass - Mary and Child

 

I’ve always liked the image of advent as a journey. As we journey through the advent season, we encounter many stages: anticipation, preparation, celebration, and reflection, among others. The advent and Christmas stories consist of many physical journeys as well: the wise men travelling from afar, angels descending from the heavens, and Mary and Joseph travelling by donkey from Nazareth to Bethlehem.

When I see this beautiful stained-glass portrait of Mary and baby Jesus, I can’t help but think about the unexpected journey that brought Mary to Bethlehem to give birth to the Christ Child in a stable. She must have experienced so many different emotions- overwhelm and confusion, but also joy and awe.

I think the past two years or so have brought all of us on our own unexpected journeys, often with a mixture of emotions. This past year I moved from Toronto to Calgary for work- a move that I wouldn’t have imagined a year ago. While I’ve also felt overwhelmed and confused by a new city and a new job, this journey has also brought unexpected joys and opportunities for reflection.

As we journey through advent, perhaps we can all reflect on the journeys that we’ve experienced over the past year- the challenges that have enabled growth and learning, and the unexpected joys that we’ve experienced as well. 

Below I’ve chosen a scripture reading about trusting the Lord on our journeys (Proverbs 3:1-6), and The Journey Prayer, as we pray for guidance on our journey through the advent season and beyond.

                                                                                                -Elizabeth Polvi


Scripture

Proverbs 3:1-6 (New Living Translation) 

My child,[a] never forget the things I have taught you.
    Store my commands in your heart.
If you do this, you will live many years,
    and your life will be satisfying.
Never let loyalty and kindness leave you!
    Tie them around your neck as a reminder.
    Write them deep within your heart.
Then you will find favor with both God and people,
    and you will earn a good reputation.

Trust in the Lord with all your heart;
    do not depend on your own understanding.
Seek his will in all you do,
    and he will show you which path to take

Holy Bible, New Living Translation, copyright © 1996, 2004, 2015 by Tyndale House Foundation. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. All rights reserved.

 

Prayer

The Journey Prayer

Originally from the Carmina Gadelica III, 179

 

God, bless to me this day,

God bless to me this night;

Bless, O bless, Thou God of grace,

Each day and hour of my life;

Bless, O bless, Thou God of grace,

Each day and hour of my life.

 

God, bless the pathway on which I go,

God, bless the earth that is beneath my sole;

Bless, O God, and give to me Thy love,

O God of gods, bless my rest and my repose;

Bless, O God, and give to me Thy love,

And bless, O God of gods, my repose.


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...