Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Online Summer Camp - AIR- Day 4

 


AIR - breath, life, communication

Breath and life make me think about bread. I have always been amazed watching bread dough rise, like there is air or something inside pushing the dough out so it can escape. I have tried many times to make bread with yeast and have failed every time. One time it was so dense  - not puffy and airy- it was like a rock. Today one of the recipes I present for AIR is a no fail tea biscuit recipe which I have used more than once as communion bread. 

When we share bread, we generally gather together, to communicate through story - passing AIR back and forth between us. God's peace and abundance. 

The second recipe I am sharing is a favourite red cabbage recipe that I picked up while serving a Danish congregation. This recipe was a food that was shared at most community meals.  There are many foods that cause AIR to pass through us: broccoli, cabbage, beans ... cooking the vegetables does help with the body passing less air. 

Both recipes are from cookbooks that many Lutheran households in Canada will be familiar with: "Canadian Lutheran Ladies Family Celebrations, Vol. 2" and  "Canadian Lutheran Ladies Family Favourites Cookbook." Perhaps you have already made these recipes, if not they are no fail and very tasty!

Enjoy!


RHEBA'S MAYONNAISE BISCUITS

4 cups flour  (I have made it with 2 cups whole wheat/ 2 cups white)

1 1/2 tsp. salt

6 tsp. sugar

6 tsp. baking powder

2/3 cup mayonnaise

1 3/4 cups milk

1 egg

Sift dry ingredients together. Add mayonnaise, mile and egg. Mix all together. Bake 375 F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

(I make the dough into 12 buns and put on a greased cookie sheet.)

----- from: St. Andrew's Lutheran Church, West Northfield, NS


DUTCH RED CABBAGE

1 small or 1/2 red cabbage   (I generally use a large red cabbage)

2 apples, chopped  

2 tbsp. vinegar (I like to use apple cider vinegar)

1/2 cup sugar

salt to taste (about 1/4 tsp.)

1 tsp. butter

Shred cabbage and put into saucepan with all remaining ingredients except butter. When cabbage is tender, add butter. Serves 4 to 5.

----- from: Ascension Lutheran Church, Calgary, AB


2 comments:

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...