Saturday, November 25, 2023

Christ's Reign Lifts Loneliness

 



This photo is from Walk With Me Wednesdays -                  in partnership with WalkNS, the church offers a 2.5 km leisurely walk in the neighbourhood every Wednesday 11am-noon. 

Everyone is welcome. We leave from the Allan St. ramp.

This is one of the programs you can participate in to 

LIFT LONELINESS!




If I was queen, I would be a fairy God-mother kind of queen, so I could have a magic wand.

If I was queen with a magic wand, I would wave it over my kindom, and gift each person with time in my cozy den of heavenly bliss.

My cozy den of heavenly bliss is a room in the heart of a tree, with a round window to let in sunshine and can open to hear the birds. On cold days the window is closed tightly, and the best seat is a comfy reading chaise tucked in a book nook, ready for one to curl up directly in a sunbeam, wrapped in a homemade quilt, with a book in hand from the intricate bookshelves lining the walls. There are rich coloured rugs on the wood floor, and a smell of pine and warm apple cider with cinnamon and a hint of orange peel, fills the air. A hot mug of whatever warm beverage tickles your fancy is on the side table. You are alone and comfortable in this heavenly den of bliss.

If I was queen with a magic wand, I would wave my wand so that all could live in this tranquil place.  From the tree house, the resident can see the outside world, can have someone over for tea; can go out to church, participate in community events, lend a hand; go into the neighbourhood for groceries, write notes, make calls, text with friends – The tree house dweller is connected and at the same time content to be by themself.

 

We celebrate this final Sunday of the church year as the Reign of Christ. For the past few weeks our readings have been escalating in intensity to focus on Christ in all Christ’s glory, and Christ as the centre of the God’s kindom. These, end of the church year Sundays, highlight our eschatology. Eschatology is theology concerned with death, judgement, righteousness, end times, final destiny, beliefs of heaven and hell, and the coming of God’s kindom.

I saw a meme this week that said:

Inaccurate eschatology causes the church – causes us- to:

Wait for a King who already reigns. Wait for a Kingdom we’re already in.

Wait to become what we already are. Wait for an age that has already come.

Wait for victory that’s already been won. Wait to do what we should already be doing.

 

We have spent a year together walking through the life of Jesus. We have heard Jesus’ teaching, witnessed the miracles, wrestled with parables; we have died with Jesus and risen with Christ. Today our eschatology should be clear: Christ reigns. God’s kindom is here. We are followers of Jesus and workers in the kindom. Death is no more. Love reigns. We are about sharing and proclaiming this Christ, this kindom, now.

In our heart-of-hearts we believe this to be true, or in the very least hope that is true – it is increasingly difficult to face the world and see that Christ reigns, experience that God’s kindom is here, that death is no more, and that love reigns.

 

Weekly we receive calls and emails – desperate calls from people looking for a room to rent – people who are nurses, working two jobs, teachers who can not find a place to live. This is not how the kindom of God is to be. It is like we are living in the kindom when suddenly the bridesmaids’ lamps run out of fuel. The persistence of these calls wears on my heart; and I succumb to worrying about tomorrow: what shall I wear, what shall I eat, where will I live. The Gospel hits me hard this morning and sits uncomfortably – I am overwhelmed by the hungry, the naked, the sick, the unhoused, those who are alone.

 

This time of year, I start to consider what my focus will be for the coming year. I like to do this when kindom stories and the Reign of Christ immediately influence my thoughts. Last year much time was spent working together discerning where we go as a church on the property front, and this is well in hand and work that continues in good hands. I also spent time engaging with the neighbourhood through neighbourhood sparkle events- this was the appetizer for this coming year. My heart is being drawn to lifting loneliness - as our contribution to feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick, accompanying the lonely.

I heard a conversation this week on CBC Radio about loneliness. Loneliness is the largest silent crisis in our midst – 1 in 3 people are experiencing mental or emotional discomfort from being lonely. Loneliness is different from being alone. One can be alone and not be lonely. Loneliness though is coloured by a sense of disconnect between the person and community, being isolated, often mixed with feelings of depression. Loneliness stems from social needs not being met or an inability to get the social connection desired; such is often caused by major life change whether retirement, different employment, a move, an empty nest, sickness, death of someone close, divorce… Loneliness debilitates and has serious mental health and physical consequences.

 

All of the eschatological readings this morning, have something in common. Did you notice the images and language are community based? We hear an image of God searching out sheep like a shepherd; sheep are pastured together, travel together, the stray is brought back to be with the flock. Ephesians is a letter written to the church community in Ephesus. The letter gives thanks for the community and highlights love toward all saints and inheritance among the saints. Paul speaks of the church as Christ’s body, the fullness of him who fills all in all. The kindom parable from the Gospel speaks of the gathering of all nations, where sheep and goats get separated into two flocks. The readings are about groups, community, and relationship. Food, drink, clothing, shelter, connection – to lift loneliness. In God’s kindom, loneliness evaporates in community.

Feed and quench loneliness. Cloth loneliness. Visit loneliness. Heal loneliness. House loneliness. Accompany loneliness. As a community we can do this! My New Year’s resolution is to do this – lift loneliness. And I am going to do this with a little help from my friends.

 

I began by dreaming, if I was queen and had a magic wand …everyone would be given the gift to be in my cozy den of heavenly bliss. We are a community that can be a cozy den of heavenly bliss. Contributing a little time and being present once or twice a month in activities to lift loneliness we can change the visibility of God’s kindom, now – and fulfill Christ’s call to address the needs within us and around us.  

 

On this Reign of Christ Sunday, I boldly confess:

Christ reigns. God’s kindom is here. We are followers of Jesus and workers in the kindom. Death is no more. Love reigns. We are about sharing and proclaiming this Christ, this kindom, now.

I am excited to get started! Loneliness be gone! Alleluia!




No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...