Friday, June 4, 2010

Graduation and closing ceremonies

Yesterday I was tested in my endeavours to be grace in the world.  Much time was spent with the administration at Oxford School and the Halifax Regional Board of Education.  Oxford School has decided to not have a Closing Ceremony this year for the Grade 9 students who will be moving on to High School in the fall.  Instead they opted to have a class picture, a 1/2 hour reception for the parents and then a dance.
The school board has asked local schools to refrain from calling the year end events a graduation, as the cost of clothes etc, was getting out of hand.  Instead schools could have a closing ceremony and then refrain from the dances.  Somehow Oxford School has it all mixed up.
My teen, who is leaving Oxford, along with some of his friends are getting dressed up just to have a picture taken and to come home...with no community recognition that they have achieved a great thing (considering as of 2005 statistics, 1 in 10, or 9.8% of students in this province do not graduate from grade 12).  They are not interested in going to the dance.
Grace was tested as I refrained from raising my voice, continued to remember to use "I" statements, tried to listen to the at times "pat" answers on the other end of the phone, and didn't say some of the things I was thinking out loud.
Grace sometimes comes through a rant!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...