Tuesday, March 13, 2012

"....This is a first world problem"

Twice during the day yesterday, this phrase was used in my hearing.  ..."but this is a first world problem".  It was said in the context of the gripes North Americans have and the complaints typically made. 
Ponder the things you complain about: weather, health, politics, finances, cost of living, jobs or lack thereof....really in comparison to the same issues in other parts of this world, the gripes are from a first world perspective.
I wonder if we heard and pondered more often, "...but this is a first world problem", would  we be more likely to live out of abundance, be content, generous, and thankful?
Next time you are standing in a group of people who are giving "an organ recital" (a litany of ones aches and pains) -perhaps direct people to ponder that many of our aches and pains are first world problems. 

Grace for me is found in the re-defining of perception; in an awakening of pondering what it is that matters.  I believe that re-defining perception and pondering what matters leads people to a fuller understanding of self, God, and one's relationship with other creatures.  Healing in the world can not occur without this kind of reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...