Wednesday, November 14, 2018

A Congregational Letter

Dear Congregation,

Today I was reflecting on the ebbs and flows of parish ministry.  I am thankful for the rhythm that you allow for me. This rhythm became very apparent to me over the past few weeks, especially due to conversations with students and self-care.

I am very thankful that you are a teaching congregation (I have had colleagues covet your commitment and dedication to taking learning seriously).  I find great joy in mentoring and teaching students, and learning from them.  This exercise makes me feel like I am using my gifts to the best of my ability. It renews my spirit, my intellect, and my energy.

I say this, because this afternoon I met with a Doctor of Ministry student attending Acadia Divinity College (I'm her mentor).  Over this year, we will meet for 2 hrs, once a month. She talked about finding the rhythm of ministry, in the sense of being wise to one's own needs (self-care) and not succumbing to compassion fatigue.

I have always enjoyed parish ministry because of the ebbs and flows of life; baptisms, weddings, funerals, joys and sorrows, sickness and health, life and death.

This week it is the students I am working with: mentoring a D.Min student, facilitating an on-line course for the Atlantic School of Theolgy ( I check in to the online conversation on Monday mornings), and of course, our current intern from Martin Luther University College in Waterloo --- who have been my absolute joy.

It balanced out: the water in the church basement to varying degrees over the past three weeks, a break in and the clean up of broken glass at the church, and a sewage backup into the house last night.

I am also grateful for what I have learned from those who have helped with the maintenance issues. Tom and Dang for showing me how to shore-up a window, for Bob and Paul who taught me lots about removing water, for Karen who found the right people to come immediately to give advice as to what to do at the house.  I am on the crest of a wave, when, without support and all of you, could have remained in the trough or worse the mud.

Thanks for being open to teaching students, to teaching me.  Thanks for being open and providing an ebb and flow; a rhythm conducive to living life well.

Hugs and Son-shine,
Kimber +

1 comment:

  1. I was only there at the beginning on 'Flood Sunday', oblivious to the subsequent turmoil while having a splendid time decompressing in the UK...like your closing ebb and flow term...thankfully with the flood it has been and hopefully will remain in the reverse order

    ReplyDelete

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...