Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Sabbath Rest and COVID Reflection

Those who follow this blog will note that I have not posted a sermon the past two weeks.  This will remain through to mid-September.  Lutheran Bishops and their assistants across Canada have taken turns to provide a sermon for each week.  The intent is to allow clerics to take some much needed rest/vacation time, and allow them to be filled by the Word. I am taking Friday and Saturdays as vacation days - so far a blessing.  For access to hearing the Word from the Bishops visit 

I am grateful for their gift!

As I enter a sabbath rest, I realize how much I have changed over the past three months.  I am in a schedule that is comfortable in a sense that it marks my days with a structure and purpose. I am enjoying how the church has adapted to the world in which we find ourselves. I have initiated practices (many of them only wishful thinking before COVID) that I hope to keep as life continues to change.

I practice being more efficient and 'less' productive/busy.
I practice quelling the need to do more, prove myself, do things because I feel I have to or should, do things because of perceived expectations.
I practice managing fear - my own and others.
I practice deepening discipleship - my own and with others.
I practice patience with myself and others.
I practice sharing tasks and asking for help.
I practice caution and sacrifice of wants for the common good.
I practice showing my real face, rather than masking feelings and 'being strong.'
I practice rest and calm while 'doing nothing.'
I practice saying 'no.'
I practice letting go.
I practice being comfortable with a lack of control.
I practice accepting an unknown future.
I practice gratitude!
I practice silence and listening to others.....
...until September.
Hugs and Son-shine

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...