Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Pieces of Coloured Glass - Wise Men Scene

 

 

 

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
Yet what I can I give Him: give my heart.

 

(From In the Bleak Midwinter by Christina Rosetti)

 

 

My grandmother Močiutė, as I call her in Lithuanian, loves the Mandarin restaurant!  On her birthday, there is no place Močiutė would rather go than for all you can eat Chinese buffet! As I learned from my grandmother, one does not simply arrive at the Mandarin for dinner, you must prepare yourself for such an incredible feast. On the day of her birthday, my grandmother would refuse to eat all day in order to make more room for what she was about to receive! Having lived through WWII and fleeing Lithuania as a refuge, my grandmother had been through times of intense hunger. Having tasted so much hunger in her life, she knew the value of food. When I reflect on the gifts of the magi this year I think of my grandmother gleefully preparing room.

 

In the Christmas story we hear how the magi brought precious gifts to the Christ child for his birthday. Often time we can see this as a wonderful gesture of giving lavish gifts to the new born king. I think there is also another layer to this story. To me, the gifts of the Magi are as much about what they are giving up, than what the Christ child is receiving. During the advent season we often talk about the gifts of Love, Joy and Peace the Christ child brings. I think the Magi would gladly exchange their gifts of gold frankincense and myrrh for these greater gifts. When they come to see the new born Jesus they lay down some of the most precious earthly things, they let Jesus know that he is worth more to them than these. Even the Magi prepare room for a gift greater than themselves.

 

As you prepare yourself for the coming of Christ (this Christmas and beyond), what earthly riches are you holding on to? What is taking up room in your heart and keeping you from receiving the gifts of deeper peace, truer love and greater joy? 

 

Dear God,     

Help me to make room in my heart for the eternal gifts you offer me. Where I have held on to hate and shame, may I let go and lean on your everlasting arms. Where I have held on to hurt and pain may I let go and know the joy of your forgiveness. Where I have chosen worry and fear may I let go and rest in your peace, for nothing can separate me from your love. Amen.

        

                                                                 -----Pastor Mark Kalvaitis

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...