Monday, January 30, 2023

Pointed Texts- Devo# 4: Psalm 21

 


 

Psalm 21 has 13 verses – the verses this devotion focuses on:

Vs 13.  Be exalted, O Lord, in your strength! We will sing and praise your power.

Vs. 6   You bestow on him blessings forever; you make him glad with the joy of your presence.

 ---Paul T's pick



I was once told by a rabbi that public reading of the Psalms in a synagogue, never leaves the reading on a sour note. If the final verse of the Psalm is negative, the first verse (or an alternative stanza) will be repeated at the end. This Psalm provides its own ending verse to turn us from the unsettling nature of vs. 8-12 (I’ll come back to these verses) to focus on God’s power.


·         When it comes to matters of country – on a world stage whether government, sport, rankings of any kind- do you like to see Canada ‘win?’ Whether it is troops on the ground in NATO operations; winning Olympic medals or the World Juniors; or our ranking on the treatment of Indigenous peoples being better than country x, y, or z?

·         What does being winner or victorious mean?

·         If we consider Canada victorious, does this make ‘the other’ enemy, loser, or less than?

 

As all Psalms are wont to do, this Psalm of David, draws out a full spectrum of emotions. The hymn is a royal thanksgiving for victory. It includes a prayer for the long life of the monarch and a royal blessing predicated on royal obedience. The hymn takes a turn in verse 8-12 describing fiery wrath on enemies and then closes with a statement of praising God’s power.

 

·         What are the emotions you feel as you read through the Psalm?

·         What does ‘the joy of God’s presence’ mean to you?

·         How do you describe and/or understand God’s power?

 

Victory, winning, blessing, gladness, divine presence, hating one’s enemies, enemies receiving their just-reward, praising divine power --- what a rollercoaster! Psalms are a poetic expression of human emotion, opening readers to their humanness and often the shadowy places in ourselves that we hide or push down.  It is okay if our sensibilities and ideals of political correctness make us cringe as we read the text. The exploration of the emotions, our humanness, biases, and what we act on when living life in relationship to others, God, and creation, is the whole point of the Psalms. It is the reason Psalms have depth and have given comfort for millennia. This art form helps us wrestle with difficult feelings, questions, and theology.

·         Have you ever considered the Psalms to be a self-help book? Emotional therapy? A resource to help your psyche wrestle with the state of world?

 

·         Reflect on the connection of ‘the joy of God’s presence’ and ‘be exalted O Lord in your strength.’

 

As I close off this devotion, I am left pondering our broken world and the moments I feel the joy of God’s presence. I feel God’s presence most deeply in places where one might not expect to feel or see God. This is the power and strength of God to be exalted. Consider what power and strength it takes God – the divine- to enter the world and be present in the messiness of humanity.  Praise God that God has not abandoned us.

 

 

At the beginning of the week, I will post a devotion on a pointed text from scripture. I will include commentary and questions for reflection. Answers and other questions and comments can be sent to me at halifaxlutherchurch@gmail.com ,put in the comment section of this blog, or on FB where the link to this devotion was shared. Fridays I will share the messages (conversation) received via the church email list

 

2 comments:

  1. I’d like to add to your last question about how one might understand “the power of God”. I said I cannot describe or understand God’s power. When I try to communicate with God, as a separate being outside of myself, “He” seems unimaginable and I don’t have words. Then, last evening words came to me.

    The power of God I do understand is transformative in nature. When I see myself (within) or see others, “transformed” that is the power of God that exists for me and for everyone and it does have words.

    It may seem bizarre, but what came to mind by way of describing that power was one of my favorite letters from the editorial page of the New York Sun written by Francis P. Church, September 21, 1897 in answer to Virginia O’Hanlon’s question, “Is there a Santa Claus?”.

    “All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge…. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist and you know that they abound and give to your life it’s highest beauty and joy”.

    It’s a strange analogy I know, but it’s not Santa Claus, but God and His Power that I’m referencing. That power exists and is understandable in human terms, when we, when people are transformed in His image.

    “Only faith, fancy, poetry, love can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don’t know if I’ve ever heard this psalm before and if I may be completely forthright in this forum, I don’t mind if I ever hear it again. There seems little that inspires or initiates any desire to dig deeper.

    However, your insight with respect to these psalms, far exceeds mine and so I will use your questions as a springboard for several things that I could express better.

    When it comes to matters of country - on a world stage, do I like to see Canada win?

    To this I would answer a resounding YES! I do like seeing Canada win on a world stage. It makes me feel proud of this country and my fellow citizens. Winning to me, however, does not mean the other is an enemy or a loser, but perhaps is “less than” in this instance, and might therefore be inspired by or in need of. A case in point might be when I once read that Canada was considered one of the “best country’s in the world to live in”. I felt so proud in that instance to be a Canadian. Yet being “best”, being the “winner”, must always carry responsibility. If we ARE the best country, than we must BE the best country, and therefore help and/or welcome those who, for example, live with “less than”, those in need of us.

    Psalm 21 didn’t really evoke any emotions one way or the other. More of my initial reaction I’m afraid. More to your questions.

    “The joy of God’s presence” question is something I can relate to, as I have felt it in my life on occasion and it is like ~ the flight of a dove. Something to be experienced, but for which words mostly fail.

    ReplyDelete

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...