Wednesday, December 20, 2023

Advent 2023 - WEEK 3: The Greatest Gift - PONDER

 


PONDER – Luke 1: 26-38


And Gabriel came to her and said, ‘Greetings, favoured one! The Lord is with you.” … Mary said, ‘Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.’ -vs. 28, 38

 

 


I thought about a gift of a different kind for which I am grateful. The giver likely didn’t realize she was giving a gift.

At church on a Thanksgiving Sunday we were asked to pray our thanks during the prayers. One person who has really serious eating disorder problems thanked God for her troubles.

The gift is, it caused me to think how often, if ever are we humbled to thank God for our troubles that actually help strengthen us and make us who we are especially while going through them? – Mary

 

We have all heard interviews where the interviewee is asked, ‘Knowing what you know now, would you do it again?’ The response is generally positive with the interviewee expressing what has been learned through the experience, the joys that have been mixed with the troubles, the person one has become because of the trials. I think that Mary the mother of Jesus, if asked, would have said, ‘yes, I would do it all over again.’

 

Ponder for a moment the ‘troubles’ you have endured, the less than savoury aspects of your life, your secrets, and your disappointments. All of these contribute to who you are and to whom you will become. There is a process in therapy circles where clients are invited to ponder the stories from their life and re-write the script. The process has a person take an experience from their life and tell the story with a focus on goodness and healing.

 

For instance- Years ago, I was in a car accident. I could tell a captivating story with all the details of the accident and ensuing trauma. Or I can chose to tell the story from a perspective of healing- my friend and I weathered a scary experience together; emergency workers were efficient and attentive as they cared for us; both of us were given exercises that changed our ability to move/helping us as we age; I grew as I learned how to manage fear and flashbacks; I have received a greater capacity for empathy for people facing similar circumstances; and in the moment when death is more than a shadow I have experienced that quiet moment when all stands still – and there is peace. All this is gift!

 

The ‘Nurturing the Good’ meditation continues: “feel the gift of life that is pulsing through your veins now and let yourself feel thankful for it. Feel the gift of life that surrounds you every moment, everywhere you go. Feel this gratitude in your body. Let yourself be nurtured, strengthened by it. And notice if there are any ideas arising about how you might create a beautiful past today or soon, for yourself and those you care about.” ---- Carolyn

 

Following the car accident, I had a renewed gratitude for life, and then life moved on.

This Advent, meditating on PAUSE, PREPARE, PONDER, I have once again renewed my gratitude for the gift of life! The gift of another day! I have found such joy in this, that regifting LIFE is the gift I strive to share in the world.

 

Money is not the only commodity that is fun to give. We can give time, we can give our expertise, we can give our love or simply give a smile. What does that cost? The point is, none of us can ever run out of something worthwhile to give. ---Steve Goodier

 

 

Holy One, we give thanks for our troubles.

Encourage and strengthen us to learn along the way.

Open us to knowingly walk with others through the challenges of daily life,

and day-by-day may we so filled with gratitude for another day,

 that we re-gift LIFE to the world. Amen.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...