Friday, April 14, 2017

Part 2 - the Valley of Tears - GOOD FRIDAY




Being in agony Jesus prayed more earnestly; and his sweat was as if it were great drops of blood falling down to the ground.  These words come from last evening’s story; Jesus was praying in the Garden of Gethsemane.
Jesus’s sweat was like blood.  This can happen in times of great anxiety; that blood does mingle with sweat as blood vessels constrict under the pressure of stress and then rupture. One then sweats blood.

I was there, in the Garden.  I was there with Jesus through the night, and I was there today on the cross.
It was not just his sweat that turned heavy and changed…I changed, me a tear, changed.
My substance turned thick and heavy; large drops hanging off the eye lids and making great puddles.
Jesus cried the weight of the world in his tears.
In those tears were held myriads of cries: those of Coptic Christians bombed in Egypt, Syrian children dying from chemical weapons, Africans starving from ravaging drought, refugees seeking a place to call home, and those caught in random acts of terror or crossfire. Multiply this week in the news, by every week…that is how heavy Jesus’s tears were.

From the Garden to the cross, tears rolled darker.  Jesus wept until there were no more tears to cry.  Jesus’s final tear -final cry- was that of abandonment, “my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” With this he breathed his last; and God had the final tear…
It was beyond heavy.  It was saturating, drowning; it had each person’s name on it, every creature remembered. The tear was the life of the world: that which was, that which is, that which is yet to be.
As God died, one final tear fell to the earth.
As it fell, the energy tore the Temple curtain in two, and the sky turned dark.  The earth shook with its impact. The world was drowned in a tear.
It was not just a simple tear.  The tear was completely weighted by love.
The world was flooded in God’s redeeming act; bathed in love.

The thing is it takes time for the tear to soak in. – for the flood to subside.
In tears of sadness, facing the agony of the cross, in seeing God’s suffering; we are left drowning in a puddle of love. Washed in God’s tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...