Tuesday, March 22, 2022

A Carton of Eggs - The Whip


 

Leather is made from raw or tanned hide. Leather is so versatile.

 We make shoes, belts, hats, vests, coats, pants, and tools.

 Leather is used to sharpen knives. 

It is used in armour, helmets, gloves. We use it as bikers.

 In Jesus day leather was used frequently for whips. 


A Bull whip, for instance moves so fast, the cracking sound is the sound barrier breaking.

 

Leather is worn by bikers because the material is tough and it offers protection. Leather is much tougher than human skin. When it is cut in large portions leather is protection from cuts and abrasions. Cut in small strips leather can cut. We see boxers hit with leather gloves, we see horses hit with riding crops…

 

Yes, a bull whip is made of leather. Like many things leather expresses the values, the attitude and the behaviour of the person who carries it. It was leather that protected Jesus’ feet, it was leather than cut his skin and made him bleed. It was leather that he used to carry heavy beams as a carpenter. It was leather that placed the weight of the cross on him as he carried it. In so many ways the lessons learned through leather is a challenge in how I use my tools, my words, my tongue, my tone. When I am expressing grace I am laying out the leather of protection, of comfort, of safety. When I am not expressing grace I am critical and my words cut much like a whip.

 

Jesus, your grace teaches us to receive challenge and acceptance. I am quick to see the challenge I am most vulnerable when I must receive the acceptance. Show me how to invite you to experience these moments of challenge and acceptance. We will do this together. Amen. 

                                                        ----Jeff Hosick


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...