Monday, April 11, 2022

A Carton of Eggs- Chalice

 


Phrase from the scripture

Matthew Chapter 26

[27] And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;

[28] For this is my blood of the New Testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Hymn

Lutheran Book of Worship

204 – Cup of Blessing

Reflection

A reflection on a cup in our lives.

 

We design cups.   We personalize them.  We make them our own.  It is wonderful the way a cup travels with us.  Reflect upon the special cups that have been with me for many years.  They comfort me and remind me of special moments.

 

When we are thirsty, we turn to the cup.   There is no more satisfying feeling that holding a warm cup with our favourite beverage.   I will hold it close, savour the moment and reflect upon my day.


Closing prayer

Holy one, great God of judgment and mercy, we give thanks to you through your beloved son, Jesus Christ.

 

 

You ordained for everything a season, a time to break down, and a time to build up, a time to keep, and a time to put aside. Let this now be a time of healing, a time of justice, a time of reconciliation and peace.

 

On the night in which he turned to his friends, our Lord Jesus took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to his disciples and said, “Take; eat; this is my body which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” In the same way he also took the cup after the supper, and when he had given thanks, he gave it to them saying, “Drink of it, all of you. This cup is the New Covenant in my blood, shed for you for the forgiveness of sins. Do this, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of me.”

 

Remembering, therefore, Christ’s turn toward the world, his journey to the cross, and his resurrection from the dead, we turn toward you in the gifts of bread and wine, signs of your mercy and balm for our souls.

 

Amen. Come Lord Jesus.


                                    ----- David Winfield

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...