Thursday, December 8, 2022

Caroling through Advent - Devotion 5

 

photo: a hand-painted Isabel Petersen creation, gifted to Pr. Kimber when the "Evangelical Lutheran Worship" hymnbook came out.


 

My favourite Christmas Carol is “The Little Drummer Boy.” My reasoning is fairly simple. I first recall hearing this Carol sung by Bing Crosby on my parents 331/3 rpm vinyl record player. Now when I hear that Carol I am transported back to my childhood and surrounded by the feelings of security, excitement and contentment. The message of this carol that I hear is that no matter how plain our gift to Christ is, it is received with the same openness. To me it is the giving and not the gift.  --- John

 

Alan and I were in the children's choir at our Lutheran church in Ottawa (so we must have been about 6 and 8), and the only song I remember singing was “Go Tell It on the Mountain.” We had a concert and all wore black vests with pipe cleaner angel pins, and dad of course was video recording. So this carol always reminds me of cold snowy childhood winters in Ottawa. --Elizabeth

 

*Are there carols that transport you back to childhood?

*What emotions do you experience when hearing these carols?

 

In formative years, children are like sponges, taking in all that is around them. It is a time when songs and stories capture one’s imagination, get wrapped up in memory, and are imprinted in the psyche. What gets imprinted is important. Carols help people learn to express emotions (even if they do not realize this is happening), the tunes and words draw emotion out. The words of carols imprint ideas of hope, love, peace, and joy, along with themes of community, relationship, wonder, prayer, and the meaning of life. In a world where commodity rules the day, a viewpoint that there is a different way is the gift of the carol.

 

*Have you participated in a Christmas pageant or choir? What was your part, and did you enjoy it?

*Reflecting on your experience of pageants or choir, what have you carried with you?

 

When I think of “The Little Drummer Boy,” I remember the year that Bob P. handcrafted a dozen or so wooden drumsticks. The boys were given drumsticks, which they used on the backs of the pews to drum their gift of praise, while the carol was played. The girls were given gymnastic ribbons to dance down the aisles with their gift of praise, while the congregation sang, “Angels, We Have Heard on High.” That particular Christmas the congregation had lots of little people, non-readers. A way was found for everyone to be included in the pageant. Everyone shared a gift. Everyone participated in praising God.

 

*Do you offer praise? How?

*If you are not a singer, what other ways can you participate in caroling?

 

Because of our experience of God – of Christmas- we have a gift to give. “Go Tell It on the Mountain” reminds us that we are to “go tell.” This Advent, go and tell, offering the gifts of hope, love, peace, and joy, whether by spinning vinyl, corralling children in a Christmas pageant, reciting pageant lines boldly, or Christmas caroling--- go and drum, go and tell.

 God-with-us,

What gifts can I bring you? Open my eyes to what I have to offer. Give me courage to give my offering to you through spreading hope, love, peace, and joy in the world. To you be the glory.

Amen.

 

Links to the carols:

Go Tell It on the Mountain –  https://youtu.be/G7QXTnoSdcI

Bing Crosby sings, Little Drummer Boy -  https://youtu.be/NrOZW0Soxus



No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...