Friday, April 30, 2010

Living Word

...from ...Baptized We Live; Lutheranism as a Way of Life: Daniel Erlander, 12
Living Word is the "Address" That Creates Change.
Living Word is like the plea of an old-fashioned young man on his knees asking a young woman to marry him.  She realizes that her affirmative response to this "address" will change the rest of her life.
When Jesus confronted the fishermen with the two words, "Follow me," they realized that an affirmative response to this "address" would change the rest of their lives.  This was Living Word!
Jesus told parables as a way of confronting the hearers with the Living Word.  Parables were not intended to serve as "packages" for rligious propositions but as HEARING EVENTS -- stories which would gently break into the hearts of the people demanding and creating change.
I am still pondering the people whose paths I crossed today.  How many of them have heard the "address"?  How can you tell if/when someone says "yes"?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Jesus Proclaims I AM! to each Forest

I AM the vine. You are the branches. Those who abide in me and I in them bear much fruit, because apart from me you can do nothing. The Se...