Thursday, December 1, 2022

Caroling through Advent - Devotion 3

 

 




My favourite Christmas hymns are Joy to the World and O Come, All Ye Faithful. I realize Joy to the World is in the Advent section but I’ve always considered it a both hymn. I love the joyful words and the joyful feeling it gives me while singing it. -----Tim

 

 I also like Joy to the World since it is so joyful and happy.         --- Sherilyn

 

Psalm 98 begins with the words, “O Sing to the Lord a new song, for he has done marvelous things.” Advent is a time to reflect on the state of the world. With wars, rumours of wars, increased violence, systemic failures, and crisis, it takes effort to look for and consider ‘marvelous things.’ It is easy in the hubbub of life to get caught up in items that do not grow joy.

Issac Watts, an English minister and prolific hymn writer wrote ‘Joy to the World” as his interpretation of Psalm 98, in the light of Jesus’ birth. This carol was his way of implanting hope and joy into a weary world.

 

Joy to the World

Why? 1. It is joyous and the music sounds like it.; 2. Each verse has a line that repeats at the end - so if you forget the words, you can come in strong on the 2nd and 3rd times it's sung!;  3. The progression of verses leads us through heaven and earth, all of nature, reminds us of dark things that are for now vanquished, and then into the Lord's reign with: truth, grace, glory, righteousness, and wonders of his love. These are powerful words of joy.  ----Sandra P.

 

*Where do you find hope and experience joy in the world?

*Do you plant, give, or share joy (to the world)? How?

*Where does your joy come from?

 

In the 20th century ‘Joy to the World” was the most published hymn in North America. The world is searching for joy. It comes, not in the accumulation of material things, or achieving more, or receiving accolades. JOY comes: in simple and powerful words; music that lifts voices and gives agency to feelings; and an expression of hope that the world can made whole.

 

I love ALL the old traditional Christmas hymns and am hard pressed to choose a favourite.  However, there is one that I loved to sing with the choir pretty much all my growing up years and also through my growing old years.  I think it’s because all the men in the choir sang it with such gusto, as though they really felt the words in their hearts.  They didn’t sing all the Christmas hymns the way they sang that one. We women also loved singing it, but in my memory when I remember Christmas services from years gone by, it’s the men’s voices I hear! It’s “Joy to the Word.”  ---- Carol

 

God who has come,

Help us to prepare room in our hearts to bask in the wonders of your love.  As we sing with heaven and nature, may we repeat the sounding joy in neighbourhoods and to all the world. Amen.

Link to the carol: https://youtu.be/HZM47g0hYoU



1 comment:

  1. It’s so good to read what folks have written about the hymns! With so much bad news on the radio, it’s heartening to read there are people who are believers, who feel the presence of their Lord in their lives. Thanks, everyone, for voicing your feelings!

    ReplyDelete

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...