Saturday, December 24, 2022

Christmas Eve and Christmas Day sermons 2022

 CHRISTMAS EVE


The hopes and fears of all the years – are met in thee tonight.

This line from O Little Town of Bethlehem expresses where I am tonight. The hopes and fears of all the years – the past three years- melt away for a moment as community gathers around the miracle of love.

 

I invite everyone to soak in this miracle – love. Love is not always easy to find, often hard to give, and certainly takes openness to accept. I invite you to sit comfortably and listen for love.

 

I had a high school teacher who taught students tricks to help with writing exams. At an exam, when feeling overwhelmed, or your brain has the answer but can’t quite pull it from memory, he suggested closing one’s eyes and listening for the farthest away sound that could be heard. He said that the exercise worked in facing life too. Try it. Close your eyes and concentrate to hear the farthest away sound you can hear.

 

At 16 this exercise was a lifesaver. The exercise centered me; it brought focus, calm, and an ability to get back to work. I used the exercise for decades: when anxious before a presentation or sermon delivery, in moments of writer’s block, when called to be present in situations of crisis. As I have aged the exercise doesn’t always work, sometimes I have ringing in my ears that won’t let me listen beyond my ears. Sometimes the ringing causes its own stress and anxiety.

Life is like that too – at 16 it was easier to bounce back and shift gears – as I have aged, as we all age, we accumulate experiences, our own and those of others, bearing witness to human condition and circumstances around the world. In living life humans accumulate grief, care-giver (COVID) fatigue, carry residue from stress and trauma. As we age our bouncing back ability dampens. We carry a lot of stuff, especially if we live from our hearts and venture into the realm of love.  This stuff is like constant ringing in the ears.

 

A month ago, I invited the congregation to share with me their favourite Christmas carols and to share why. The favourites by far were Silent Night and O Holy Night. People noted that these carols bring forward emotions and memories of stillness, the ambience of candlelight, beauty in simplicity, a peace like gently falling snow. I wonder if these carols touch us so deeply because in the stillness of their nature they are just loud enough and in the right tone to abate the sound of ‘ringing in the ears,’ the noise of a harsh and crazy world, and usher in a calm to fill hearts and minds; a miracle- centering us once again into a state of love.

The hopes and fear of all the years – are met in thee tonight.

 

This miracle of love is a human reset, not something we can purchase and put under our Christmas trees, it is a gift from God – in fact it is God- love incarnate. God chooses to enter human life in all its messiness and noise to incarnate love among us. To say to the human being, the human heart:  you are worthy, you are loved, you are free; so that you can live from your heart and continue to venture into the realm of love.

 

Author, Nicholas Sparks, in “The Notebook,” wrote:

We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.

 

I invite you to listen for a moment.

Tonight, we are drawn together, comfortable sitting with each other without speaking. There is a shared silence. A holy silence wherein love comes and dwells among us.

 

Holy silence is akin to embracing holy darkness: Jesus grew in the warmth and darkness of Mary’s womb; the shepherds watched their flock by night; the wisemen followed a star in the night skies; in the backdrop of darkness the glory of the angels appeared. In the night - this evening, in the midst of human condition and circumstances, in the noise of the world, in fears and hopes of all the years, holy silence rests upon us. This is a gift from God. A miracle!

 

Love has come. Love sits with us. Love embraces us. Love meets us.

Be blanketed in holy silence, filled with the miracle of love.  And may this silence and love travel with you, tonight and tomorrow and always.

 

 

 

 

CHRISTMAS DAY

 

We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking. This is the great paradox.

Last night I shared this quote from author Nicholas Sparks.

This morning it rings even more true, as I hear the words from John 1 – read in this holy space; devoid of presents and crinkling wrapping paper, bereft of pent-up excitement and over-exuberance, free of impatience – here we sit content in the quiet of holy silence, comfortably connected without having to say a word.

In holy silence, Christmas is different, with the noise of the world hushed for a moment, our hearts are open to hear these profound words:

 

In the beginning was the Word, the word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being. What came into being in him was life, and the life was the light of all people. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not overtake it.  -John 1: 1-5

 

This text is an old friend. In my opinion one of the best pieces of literature ever written. I could sit silently with this text all day, as I watch the world go by. With morning coffee in hand, a blanket, and a comfy chair, I could repeat everyday all winter long.

One of my favourite words -because it enfolds me into a feeling- is the verb to bask.

To bask – is to laze, loll, lounge, relax, sunbathe, swim in, or toast oneself;

It too can be interpreted as to indulge, relish, revel, savour, enjoy, luxuriate, frolic, wallow.

Today I bask in Christmas.

Christ’s mass – to celebrate God incarnate; to be embraced by Word; warmed by love.

 

Many of you will have noted that when closing off emails and writing salutations, I write - Hugs and Son-shine; Son shine, spelled capital ‘S-o-n” dash shine.  

This is me basking in Christmas -in God incarnate- and in return offering a theologically pointed blessing.  ‘Hugs’ is me loving whomever I am speaking to, it is relational and personal, and meant from my heart to theirs. If I do not know a person as well, I say peace instead of hugs. The Son-shine is based on John 1. The son of course is Jesus, the Christ, who was in the beginning and brought life and light to the world. Son-shine is a word play of sunshine (like sun in the sky); sunshine that brings warmth and brightness. Christ does this too. When using this blessing I am inviting the receiver to Son-bathe (s. o. n.) in God’s grace, to bask in the Word, and to be embraced by love.  This is how I keep Christmas in my heart all year through.

 

As this year draws to a close, I invite you to consider how you will carry Christmas with you into the new year? How will you witness to and share the Word?

 

On this Christmas Day - To each of you, from my heart to yours,

Hugs and Son-shine.





 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...