Monday, December 19, 2022

Caroling through Advent - Devotion 8


 

Do you know “Mary's Boy Child" by Jim Reeves? It is a religious folk song that tells the Christmas story.  ---Merv

 

I’ve never thought about my FAVOURITE Christmas Carol before your request.  Two came to mind as possibilities though, “Oh Holy Night”, sung by “Uncle John” who sang with the Canadian Opera Company and the other, “Mary’s Boy Child”, the version sung by Jim Reeves, a long deceased country western singer my father loved, and subsequently a singer I came to love because of my father.  To this day, Jim Reeve’s Christmas Album, “Twelve Songs of Christmas”, embodies the happiest of Christmas memories from my early childhood when my father was still with us. He died unexpectedly in 1979, well before his time at the age of 59 (like me, he looked deceptively healthy.  He was one of the first “joggers” seen around the streets of Halifax. None of us knew he was missing one of the valves to his heart).  Yesterday, I listened to both songs again, “Oh Holy Night” and then “Mary’s Boy Child”.  The later won the “favourite” category because of the connection to my dad ~ my brilliant, wonderful father who loved Christmas so much and who along with my mother, brought love and joy to our home at Christmas time. The song still brings tears to my eyes every time I listen, with its simple Christmas message of the birth of Mary’s Boy Child.  It’s a message both my parents fervently believed and instilled in us as children, ”long time ago”.  ----Linda

 

*What warm Christmas memories do you have of those who have gone before us?

*What message(s) have you instilled in the next generation (children, nieces/nephews, God-children, etc.)?

 

Jim Reeves was called “Gentleman Jim.” It was said that he was a gentleman both on and off stage. He cared for others and used music as a medium to pass on knowledge. He took time to perform at US military bases around the world, and in South Africa recorded a few albums in Afrikaans. Through the carol, Mary’s Boy Child, Gentleman Jim not only told the Christmas story from the Gospel of Luke, he also repeated a statement of faith: That man will live forever more because of Christmas Day. Jim lived his faith. It was seen in his demeanor, music, and projects.

 

The inscription on Jim Reeves’ memorial reads: – “If I, a lowly singer, dry one tear, or soothe one humble human heart in pain, then my homely verse to God is dear, and not one stanza has been sung in vain.”

 

*What gifts do you use to live your faith?

*What medium can you use to tell the Christmas story and make a statement of faith?

*Think about how you can dry one tear and soothe a human heart in pain.

  

Jim was a creator – singing outside the lines, so to speak. He created a new sound that became known as the Nashville Sound – it was a country sound expressed through the inclusion of violins and lusher background arrangements. It meant a wider audience for his message because it broadened country music to other genres.  God coming as a baby - God was colouring outside the lines, finding a medium to express to human beings the expanse of God’s love.

 

Emmanuel,

Thank you for colouring outside the lines and going to great lengths to show us love. Thank you for songs that resurrect powerful memories and warm our hearts. Help us to find and use a host of mediums to tell your story and share faith. Amen.

 

Link to Jim Reeves singing “Mary’s Boy Child” - https://youtu.be/3OT9kOaiXLU



1 comment:

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...