Monday, December 12, 2022

Caroling through Advent - Devotion 6


 All glory be to God on high, and to the earth be peace…

 Before Christmas, 1700, only the Psalms of David were permitted to be sung by the Anglican Church. In this year, “While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks,” based on Luke 2: 8-14, became the first Christmas hymn authorized to be sung by the Church of England. Many carols had roots in folk music and were considered too secular to be appropriate in church. The original tune, Winchester Old, is a common-metered psalm tune, in other words ‘churchy’ for that time. It is the tune used in our current hymn book supplement.

 



*What kinds of tunes, or styles of music, do you feel are appropriate or inappropriate for use in the church?

*When Psalms are used in worship, do you like to responsively sing or read them? Why?

  

But, this year I think my favourite will be “While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night.“ I’m so happy that it is again included in the hymnal supplement, “All Creation Sings.” 

This Carol reminds me that the message of the Messiah first came to the lowliest of society, the ones who were not invited into homes because they smelled like sheep manure. They were the ones who didn’t have a place to sleep. Good grief! They were sitting on the ground! This Carol reminds me that when I’m wandering and when I absolutely stink at life, God’s promise of salvation is still meant for me. ----Pr. Pam

 

The writer of this carol, Nahum Tate, spent most of his life in poverty. He was said to have lacked great talent, stage writing and adapting other’s work (like Shakespeare plays). He was not part of the intellectual life or society of his times. At the end of his life, he took refuge from creditors at the Mint in Southwark. I wonder if Nahum’s life circumstance was written into the carol, understanding the shepherd’s poverty, status, and fear. I wonder if he wrote the words of the angels for his own ears and soul: “fear not,” “to you…is born.”

 

*Do you identify with the shepherds?

*Do your ears and soul need to hear the words of the angels: fear not, to you…is born?

*Who are the shepherds in neighbourhood? Who needs to hear, “fear not, to you…is born?

 

Today you are invited to offer the final phrase of this carol as your prayer intention for today:

 

good will to all from highest heav’n

 begin and never cease!

Amen.

 

Link to While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks by Night   https://youtu.be/NrOZW0Soxus

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Holy Enterprise of Friendship

  There is no greater way to show love to friends than to die in their place. You are my friends if you walk in my ways and do what I say. I...